Time Out Melbourne Food Awards winners announced
The third annual Time Out Melbourne Food Awards were held last night at George Calombaris’s Gazi.
Attracting over 220 of the city’s culinary experts and food personalities, the event was designed to celebrate and recognise the city’s best establishments from cheap eats, right through to fine dining.
Restaurant of the Year was awarded to Flinders Lane Japanese fusion restaurant, Kappo; Richmond sushi house Minamishima took out the award for Best Fine Dining Restaurant; and famed ramen joint Hakata Gensuke claimed Best Bang For Buck, cementing the city’s love for Japanese fare.
Chef of the Year was awarded to Estelle’s Scott Pickett, and the Legend Award went to North Fitzroy institution, Moroccan Soup Bar for its 17 years of service to Melbourne’s food scene.
“We are thrilled to award the team behind Kappo the award for Restaurant of the Year,” said Time Out Australia CEO Michael Rodrigues. “They have worked tirelessly and created something truly essential to Melbourne’s dining scene: outstanding food in elegant surrounds at a reachable price point. They are the complete package.”
The 2015 Time Out Melbourne Food Awards winners:
- Blayne, Chayse and Tyson Bertoncello, O. My
- (Highly commended: Thi Le, Anchovy)
Best New Restaurant
- (Highly commended: Anchovy)
Best Casual Diner
- Tipo 00
- (Highly commended: Magic Mountain Saloon)
Best Bang For Buck
- Hakata Gensuke (Melbourne)
- (Highly commended: Tina’s Noodle Kitchen)
Best Fine Dining Restaurant
- Piggery Caf
- (Highly commended: Kettle Black, South Melbourne)
- Hutong Dumpling Bar
Chef of the Year
- Scott Pickett, Estelle, ESP, St Crispin
- (Highly commended: Koichi Minamishima, Minamishima)
Restaurant of the Year
- Hana Assafiri, Moroccan Soup Bar
- (Highly commended: Maha)
The Time Out Sydney Food Awards winners will be announced on Monday 24 August at The Morrison, Sydney.